Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2013

My Ancestry Poem


Use this framework to help you write your poem.

  • Identify who you are (your gender): Your culture.
  • Share two meaningful things about your culture that you are proud of.
  • Mention how the decisions of your ancestors help shape who you are today. Use poetic language to describe this - remember to express your critical thinking!
  • Paint a picture of the past using your five senses:  e.g. hearing the beat of drums or the scraping the coconut with the hakalo (Tongan tool for coconut scraping).  Feeling the weight of the water as the paddle moves through it - as your ancestors make their way to a new land...
  • Look into your future - where will you be, and will your ancestors be happy you are there? What do your ancestors mean to you as you move into your own pathway?

  • Include:  Alliteration, onomatopoeia, metaphors, similes and rhyme (if appropriate).
  • You can include some cultural words and phrases.

Example of ancestral poems



Sentence starters:

  • I am... (Only allowed to use this twice in poem).
  • We are our ancestors...
  • Our forefathers and foremothers live within us...
  • Our drums echo ancestral heartbeats...
  • My ancestors live in me...
  • I can hear/smell/feel/see...
  • In the future...
  • The future...
  • I take my ancestors with me...


Put your poem together!


Alipate Sukulu
a turanga, a cauravou, a tama
Strong he stands a farmer in sawani
A proud pacific islander he made me be
He rests up in lomalagi looking upon us
My ancestor lived by a waterfall.

The clashing of the waterfall was music too my ears
Moving my hands towards the waterfall felt like little drops of  my  ancestors tears falling on too my hand.

The scent of the trees was my ancestors  fresh  and cleansing smell
The movement of the waterfall was like how fast my ancestor cut down all the cassava sticks with his machete knife.

I could not see my ancestor but I can still see him in my heart,
My ancestors will be in my heart when I will be working as a pilot flying over the earth’s atmosphere soaring like an eagle with wings wide open flying across the ocean which my ancestors swam and fished in for their kakana.

No comments:

Post a Comment